I have lots of pictures to post, but am too lazy to upload them, and I'm sick of looking at my Halloween post since it's December, so I am turning in a different direction this post. I have been listening to Christmas music a lot lately and have decided there are some songs they need to stop playing. Don't get me wrong, I LOOVE Christmas music. Some are just horrible. Here's the rundown in no particular order.
1. Feliz Navidad. Seriously? Nothing against the song, it's just that it's played Every. Five. Minutes. And with a song that only has like 20 words, that gets to be a bit much don'cha think?
2. Christmas Shoes. Okay, who wants to hear about a little boy who's mom is dying and he's buying her some shoes? That totally brings the Christmas spirit, right? Also, does she really NEED the shoes? She's dying, so I think not. Why buy shoes she's going to wear for just that night? For that matter, if she's really that sick, what kind of a dad would let his little boy go to the store, all by himself, in the snow and buy shoes for her when his mom is on her deathbed? Awful song. Very depressing.
3. War Is Over/Happy Christmas by John Lennon and Yoko Ono. I think John Lennon was a GENIUS. I mean, the guy was a Beatle. I also think Yoko Ono's voice makes my ears bleed. When she barks out "Let's hope it's a good one without any fear." It makes my ears want to cry. There is also the problem of the demonic children's choir at the end. Kind of freaky. I don't, however, have a problem with Sarah Mclachlan singing it. It's a beautiful song. Yoko Ono ruins it though.
4. Feed the World by Band Aid. I don't really have a reason for not liking this song, I just don't like it. It seems a bit sanctimonious, these rich people singing "Tonight thank God it's them instead of you." Though, the video is fun to watch because Bono has a suh-weet mullet and Boy George and George Micheal are just lookin' rad. Ah, 1984. The memories.
5. Celebrate Me Home by Kenny Loggins. Um... Just because the lyrics say Christmas one time, doesn't make it a Christmas song.
6. My Favorite Things. Again, why is this a Christmas song? I like the song, just not for Christmas.
7. Little St. Nick by the Beach Boys. Sigh. Though I do like the song when the Muppets sing it. Animal screaming Run Run Reindeer is pretty funny. Does that make me weird?
8. Hey Santa by Wendy and Carnie Wilson. No words. There are no words.
9. Simply Having a Wonderful Christmastime. Okay, okay, we get it! You're simply having a wonderful Christmastime!!! (With your synthesizer).
10. Santa Claus is Coming to Town by Bruce Springsteen. "Hey! I've got something to say! Sanna Claus is commin totooownnnn!!!!!!!! Woo!!!" Too. Much. Yelling!!!!!
So, what's your vote, agree? Disagree? Do you have any you hate? Let me know.
8 comments:
I thought for sure you'd mention the Ray Coniff Singers(yellers). But I half agree with your selection and half disagree. You are funny in your analogy though. Made me smile.
hahahaha....I couldn't agree more!!! That's why I buckled and bought me some new $5 Christmas Cd's from Smiths! I have 3 words...John Denver Muppets!!! Oh yeah :)
Some of my favorite Christmas songs are on your list. If you know me at all, I think you can guess which ones. But I agree, they need to mix it up a bit more. All I can say is radio today, sucks.
Call me old, oh wait, I am. I'll take Frank Sinatra, Andy Williams, Johnny Mathis, Nat "King" Cole, Boston Pops, you know, good old-fashioned Christmas music with no yelling, schreeching, bad lyrics, etc. Christmas music should make me feel a real spirit of Christmas.
Okay, so I laughed OUT loud at this post. Multiple times, actually. I'm with you, seriously. I HATE Christmas shoes more because it's cheesy and stupid...let alone illogical. Yoko ruins most anything she touches, so I'm glad for the warning. Your list is PERFECT! One that is actually quite funny, is one done by SheDaisy and Rascall Flatts making fun of Christmas. I think it's called "I Did It All For You."
amy, you are so funny and right...except I got all those songs stuck in my head trying to think about the lyrics.. :)
I can't stop laughing!!! And I thought you loved all christmas music! But now that you mention all that, I'd have to agree.!!
haha ha amy you are so RIGHT ON!!! I am amazed some of the songs even get played another time. I wish someone would come out with some new "oldies" Merrry Christmas!!!
Post a Comment