Wednesday, January 29, 2014

The Gift

For Christmas, I never know what to give Cameron.  Anything he wants, he usually has to get himself, because it involves electronic know how, which I do not have.  I never can surprise him.  So this year, I decided to give him "The Gift".  I got the idea off someone else's blog.  Can't remember who's, but I can't take credit for the idea.  I planned one date a month all year long.  They are all mostly prepaid, pre-planned, pre everything.  I put each month's activity inside a manila envelope and gave them all to him as one gift.  He is not allowed to look ahead to see what each date is.  We open it together at the first of the month and pick a day that will work for us and plan it then.  I tried to plan lots of different, fun stuff that we haven't done before.  Some are stay-at-home nights, some are day trips, some are just regular dates.

This month was a fondue night.  I have never made fondue, but it was fun to try.  I made two kinds.  Cheese and chocolate.  I had fun getting all sorts of dippers for it.  I got bread, broccoli, chips, and I had ham, but forgot it.  The chocolate dippers were strawberries, marshmallows, pretzels, cheesecake, and...I think that's it.

Cameron with January's date note. 



 This is the cheese fondue pot.  I think I will make a different cheese fondue next time.  All the fondue recipes called for white wine, which I did not have on hand so I looked up a substitute and it said to use beer or apple cider vinegar.  I used the vinegar and the cheese just tasted a little vinegar-y.  It was still yummy,

The little silver Hershey's kiss had the chocolate fondue in it and it was delicious!!  I sort of just wanted to eat the chocolate fondue by the spoonful.  

It was a fun night.  Amy took the kids to her house and hung out with them and we just ate fondue and watched a movie and hung out together.  We get to open next month's date on Saturday.  It should be fun!  

No comments: