Liam has been learning to dance in the sixth grade. They go every Friday and learn to waltz, foxtrot, all the traditional dances, and they also learn stuff like the electric slide, boot scoot, etc. They had a dance at Halloween, one at Christmas and a Valentines dance. The Valentine one I went to and took pictures. It was 50's themed.
Here's our greaser.
This is Liam on the left dancing with one of the girls from our ward. It was fun to see him have to come out of his comfort zone and dance with all these girls. The girls had dance cards that the boys would fill out the day before so it was very seamless and fun.
He also was a part of the sixth grade Greek plays. They put on plays each year as they learn about Greek mythology. He was Deadalus, creator of the labyrinth. He was the main character in his play and had to memorize a bunch of lines. He did awesome! I was really proud of him. He got sick the day before and had a sore throat and was coughing, but the day of the play, we plugged him full of medicine and sent him. He had to preform it seven times that day, the performance for the parents being the last performance. He projected his voice really well and powered through, even though he didn't feel well.
We celebrated Cameron's birthday. It happened to fall on game night, so we had a bunch of my family over and we just played games and ate cake. He got two cakes as you can see, so everyone could eat some.
Easter came. How do I not remember it? We did color eggs. Cameron's brother and family came to visit. It was so fun to see them. We haven't gotten to hang out with them in a long time.
Liam also had a birthday. He turned 12 this year. Kind of a momentous birthday for him. It feels like we are really on the cusp of change. He goes into Junior High next year. Yikes. I got it into my head that he needed a friend party. I thought of this a week before his birthday. I know, crazy me. We bought invitations and filled them out and he was resistant to it the whole time. He did not want to have a party and be the center of attention. I really felt like he needed this though, so we pressed onward. I made him hand out all the invites. We were planning on using my nephews projector and watch a movie outside and eat pizza and play games. The closer we got to his birthday, the worse the weather outlook looked, so we decided to move the party inside the church.
We ordered pizzas, made popcorn and had cake and were ready to go. I didn't actually count how many kids showed up, but I am guessing it was around thirty. They ate pizza and popcorn and watched Princess Bride and played around. Then they ate cake and opened presents and played Ghost in the Graveyard in the Cultural Hall so we could keep them contained. I really think Liam had a good time and you could tell it boosted his confidence to see so many kids show up for his birthday. It was a long night for the parents, Cameron had to vacuum the hallways twice to get all the popcorn up and I swept the kitchen and cultural hall a couple of times too. We got home around 10:45 and to bed around 11:45. Fun times.
Liam also had the opportunity to receive the priesthood. He met with the bishop and primary president; had some good interviews and was presented in Sacrament for sustaining. Grandma and Grandpa Manwaring and Grandma April came to see him ordained, which was neat for him. He earned his Faith in God award too, which I was proud of him for doing because he memorized all the Articles of Faith. I didn't think we would do it, but he buckled down and did it.
He passed the sacrament for the first time this last Sunday and was pretty nervous, but when he came to sit down afterward, he said "That was awesome Mom!" What a good kid I have! I tell him all the time he was the one who made me a mom, and he gets to have all the mistakes made on him first, which makes him so brave to have volunteered to come down to us first. He also gets to do everything first, whether it be fun things or scary things, and I think that makes him pretty a courageous guy! Love him lots!










No comments:
Post a Comment