Thursday, February 11, 2016

'Bout Time For An Update

I figured it was time for an update.  It is a good thing I take pictures, otherwise, I'd forget everything. We had Thanksgiving and then did some things for Christmas.  We missed seeing the lights at temple square this year, but we did try to do one or two things as a family each week.  We had the kids go shopping for each other and we made doughnuts and delivered them to neighbors.  It was the first time we had done doughnuts with all the kids.  It was fun.  Erin and Owen were the runners, taking the donuts to and from the oil and the frosting and Liam and Reagan were the frosters.  I cut the doughnuts out and Cameron cooked them.  I think we all had fun and we have a new tradition.  We decorated cookies too.  Each year I try and get something different to decorate.  This year I found Ninjabread cookies.  We made our own cookies and the packet came with ninja cookie cutters.  We've used them a couple more times with our sugar cookie recipe.  They are fun.


The Ninjabread warriors








Reagan would frost one and eat it while she frosted another cookie.  She couldn't save one for later.


Liam had his second sixth grade dance.  It was his Christmas dance.  They actually have their last one tomorrow for Valentines day.  He has to dress up like someone in the 50's.  I have liked sixth grade because they have been teaching them how to dance and manners and the like.  It all culminates in a field trip at the end of the year to La Caille, a fancy shmancy restaurant the kids get to dress up and go to.  They practice pulling out chairs for the girls and table etiquette, stuff like that.  



Owen had a Christmas program about Christmas around the world.  His part was about Germany (I think?)


Then they acted out 'Twas the Night Before Christmas.  He memorized the whole thing.  He was so excited to be a reindeer.  He was Vixen.


It was a new program for me.  I hadn't seen it before, which was a nice change from seeing the same play over each year.


Grandma April had her traditional Christmas tea party with the close by grand kids. They always have a good time there.


We had our family Christmas party and ate waffles and acted out the nativity.  They are all getting big enough to follow along pretty well.


This is Liam collapsed on the floor on Christmas morning.  We got a new TV and he was so excited.  He looks like he is crying, but he wasn't.  Just laughing really hard.  





This boy had a birthday.  He turned eight years old.  I don't quite know how that happened, but it did.


He wanted a train cake with dinosaurs all around it, so I just made a train cake with dinosaurs on it.



Eight years old means deciding to be baptized.  It was fun to have family come out (even though the baptism was at 5:30 at night!!)  We had ice cream sandwiches and cookies before at the church and Owen being Owen fell down and got his church shirt elbows to arms muddy.  Luckily, we had a spare shirt to change into afterward.  Then we did the baptism, then a lot of the family went out to eat afterward.  We did not, because our kids didn't want to eat where they were going, so we got McDonalds.  All but Liam, who went with the family for Mexican food.  Cameron baptized Owen and while Owen's legs did flip up, they did not come out of the water and he only had to do it once.  


Cameron said Owen was so excited afterward, he couldn't get him to get himself dried off and dressed.  They took about 30 minutes to get into the room to do the confirmation.  Our bishop said it was the longest he'd ever had to wait.  He was good about it, but we found out he even mentioned how long it took in the ward council meeting the next day.  The bishop had Grandpa Manwaring bear his testimony, then I bore mine and the bishop bore his. I just wanted to remember the bishop looked at Owen and told him by being baptized, he had agreed to follow Heavenly Father's commandments which include serving a mission.  He testified right to Owen that there are people who are being prepared just for him to teach, because he is the one who will be able to reach them.  I thought it was a pretty neat sentiment and wanted to remember it.  Grandpa talked about making right choices and loving each other as family, and I can't remember what I talked about.  I feel like I rambled a little.  It was a nice day.  Owen even talked about feeling the Holy Ghost after, which, if you know Owen, is a big thing for him.  We are so glad Owen is in our family.  Never a dull day with him!!  Love you Owen!!

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Love it, keep posts coming! And your sweet testimony you told your kids about your strong testimony and how they can rely on you and your testimony until they truly gain their own. Loved it!