Monday, December 29, 2008

The Ya-Ya Fairy

Ever since she could talk, Erin has had, and LOVED, her pacifier. We call it her plug, she calls it her ya-ya. We would have to take it everywhere, because if there was a meltdown, it was the only thing that would calm her down. I could reason, rock, love, talk, do anything and everything, and she would scream "ya-ya!", and can I tell you, that girl is a belter!!

I had heard all of the tricks for getting rid of pacifiers, so I cut the tip...nah, didn't work. She just kept sucking on it. She didn't care. I tried other things as well, but it didn't take. Finally I told her that the ya-ya fairy was going to come and take her plugs away to babies who needed them. I gave her the plugs that night, but the ya-ya fairy came during the night and left a train and took the ya-yas. The next week went a little something like this...
And this......

I think we're through the worst now. She did ask for it a couple of nights ago, but I told her no more ya-ya's, remember? and she said "Okay." Okay!! You don't even know how exciting that is. We got through screaming tantrums (the girl can scream for three hours straight. She's got lungs, that one), sleepless nights (I threatened to put her outside for a couple of minutes one night and locked us in the bathroom so others wouldn't be awakened too much another night.) I think we're through it though and there's no more ya-ya!! Hooray and Huzzah! My next task is to get my eleven-month-old to eat. So you mommies out there, any suggestions? Owen doesn't touch baby food, he thinks I am poisoning him every time I try it. I've tried different "people" food and he just spits them out. I've got nothin' here folks. Any suggestions would be great!!

7 comments:

Chauntue Peterson said...

Well she will thank you later. As for the food hummmm, i know my Bryce liked to drink his milk and not eat so I would make him eat first then give him his sippy he didn't like that very much. Have you tried different texture food's maybe he dosent' like the feel. Heck I don't know good luck with that one.

Cyndi said...

My advice would be: hang in there. Keep trying different "people food" and make sure you at least give him a chance to eat it. (lol. get a dog for the food that gets thrown on the floor! :) We have cut WAY back on buying dog food! hahaha) Breathe and remember, they'll eat it when they get hungry. That's where I am with my Paul..and he's 2. Somedays he barely eats enough to sustain life and other days, I think he's a growing teenaged boy. Good luck! :)

Julie said...

Happy days, I envy you. I have had a few weak tries a getting that pacifier out of our lives and you know I have caved big time. So you continue to inspire and give hope. :)

Laurie said...

Erin is awesome! Just seeing those pics makes me laugh. Isn't being the parent great!? And I suppose with Owen, I'd say just keep doing what you're doing, eventually he'll swallow and figure out he can eat it? Tough stuff.

Juanita said...

Feed that boy some mini marshmallows! If he doesn't like those, you're in big trouble. From there he might figure out food can be tasty! My dad fed Ammon fudge, with almonds in it, when he was not quite seven months old, but now he loves all food! :)

Just me! said...

You are a big girl now Erin!!! Good work mom!!

Thomas Rust said...

That just makes me chuckle! It is so nice to see other moms go through the same things!

I asked my sons doctor about pedialite, and he said that a baby can get more nutrition out of a lickful of food than an adult can get out of a plateful. He said he never recommends the nutritional supplements because it still doesn't teach your child to eat . . . He says "Leave them alone, when they get hungry enough they'll eat"

Take that with a grain of salt, but I did help me stress less!