Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Underachiever

So this is a total rant post so if you have anything else to do, I suggest you do it and skip the rantings of a slacker blogger.
I love to blog surf. Oh yes, I am totally addicted. It must be the thrill of being an anonymous voyeur getting a glimpse of how other people spend their time. I could sit and ignore my children for hours just jumping around blogland. I don't, but I could. The problem with this is I totally hate myself afterward. I see all these fun blogs and I feel like such an underachiever. I do not do what other bloggers are doing. I don't take my children to fun, exciting, wonderful places each and every week for their enlightenment, education, social skills, or just simply to see the joy on their little faces. I do not have my children enrolled in all sorts of activities. I don't can food, cupon clip, shop all the sales, try a new recipe for dinner every night, or clean my house spic and span so all those blog photos will be impressive. I do not update my blog background to make it all cute. (Partially because Cameron doesn't want a "girly blog"). I am not crafty and do not make all sorts of homemade fun decorations to go in my home. I don't even like my home. Enrichment night is probably meant for people like me, but do I go? No. I do not get together with friends for playgroups, dinner clubs, book clubs, or any other club. Just thinking about all of that makes me tired. Usually, I am fine with who I am, but man, when I get to blog surfing, I sure take a hit on my ego. You would think this would get me to stop, right? No no, I will continue on this road to self deprecation, just so I can eagerly peer into other people's happenings. It will still make me tired though.

13 comments:

staci said...

Amy, I am so in the same boat as you. Today was one of those days that I spent wayyyyyy too much time checking out other's blogs and not watching my own kids. It's really terrible actually. But oh so fun. It's all good! :)

Laurie said...

Don't beat yourself up girl! Everyone has their strenghts and weaknesses. Your computer is in your family room, so you are near your children when you're on it. You are your children's best friend, you'll own your own home one day, and will like it and make it cute the way you want, your kids are happy, they play with neighbors, I don't have neighbor kids around. You are good at what you do, and live with what you've been given. You are a strong person and great at many things. I hope you have a good weekend and "don't worry about it all". :)

Just me! said...

Amy~I noticed you are reading the "Mammoth Book of Sudoku"? Ahahaha! That's funny. Your cute! My favorite website ever is goodreads.com Love it! Love it! Love it!! You will find lots of books that are so good. My favorite right now is Memoirs. I know that sounds gay but it so interesting to read about other peoples lives. I guess it makes me feel somewhat 'normal'. He he!! My favorite book is The Glass Castle. I can't remember the author but look it up. I was sad when the book was over. I loved it!!! Let me know what you think.

Thomas Rust said...

Hey, I know you!!!! How are you doing? I love blog surfing so that I can find all my old high school friends - not that were old or anything!!!

What a cute family you've got! Where are you living? From the looks of it you're in Utah right? We live in Big Ole' Brigham City - if you're ever this way, look us up!

Nik said...

Hi Amy! I got your e-mail and I was so excited to hear from you. I promise to send you an invite to my blog and I'll certainly be stalking yours now! :) By the way, cute kids!

Tara L. said...

Amy you are not an underachiever. Your blog is full of fun things you do with your kids. I know it is easy to compare yourself to others though. You are not alone. We all do it. I sure wish you lived closer. It would be fun to see you and your family. Keep in touch ok.

Paul and Megan Hawkes said...

Amy, I am like you, we don't do specatcular things, my house is not spic and span, I don't have a cute background. But I do love blogging and keeping a record of the simple everyday things my family does. Your family is darling. Thanks for getting in touch. It is fun seeing all of us grown up and with kids.

Anonymous said...

It's called Blenvy and most of us have been there at one time or another. Here's a link to CJane's post about it. Have a great weekend! Lana

http://blog.cjanerun.com/2008/03/blenvy.html

Lydia said...

Hey Amy!! It was great to hear from you! I haven't seen you in forever! You have a darling family! So where are you and what are you up to? I haven't read your blog yet.. i am doing that now. I am still in Spanish Fork, Utah. I work for Springville police.. going on 9 years. I really love it. Matt and I have been together for 2 years and just having a great time! Keep in touch! It was great to hear from you! levans@springville.org

Lydia

Barnes Family said...

Hey Amy! I'm so glad you found my blog! It's so fun to see people from the good ole days..
Your kids are too adorable!
Your blog is so cute. I don't have a bunch of exciting things on my blog either. I just look at it like a journal where I can write funny things that happened. I think your blog is great and I can't wait until I have more time to read through all of it.
Keep in touch!

Chauntue Peterson said...

Hey Lady, im glad I found your blog to Does anyone else in the family have one or are we the only blogger's? I tried to start a family one but no one would do it. Let me know if you have any more i know. I love this way to keep in touch lov ya,Chauntue'

Happy2Bme said...

I am so glad that you've been lurking at our blog. I just want you to know that I feel just like you do a lot of the time! Blogs are so fun to look at, yet it makes you feel so inadequate. We should start a depressed blog-hoppers group. Just remember though, most of the people blog just the happy times -- not too many out there blogging about yelling at their kids, doing loads & loads & loads of laundry, changing 10 diapers a day, smelling like baby spit-up, or crying over juice that's been spilled 10 times in the last hour. Don't be so hard on yourself, others of us know how you feel! :) You're a good mom just for not screaming and running away each night.

Misty said...

Hey, Rachelle ... some of us actually do run away at nights to escape. :) That would be me, usually with my sister but sometimes alone, at a late-night movie. Wanna go next time girls?? Does wonders for this mommy's soul.